Tuesday, May 4, 2021

R-EPOCH today

 So I go into the hospital for five days today. After talking to my oncologist yesterday, I feel a little less worried. She doesn't expect me to feel sick in the hospital; rather, it will start when I get home. Good? It's hard to know how to feel about that. 

The added "e" in the new formula, from R-CHOP to R-EPOCH:

  • R – Rituximab
  • E – Etoposide Phosphate
  • P – Prednisone
  • O – Vincristine Sulfate (Oncovin)
  • C – Cyclophosphamide
  • H – Doxorubicin Hydrochloride (Hydroxydaunorubicin)

The E is the etoposide. If it were only that! I also am getting a slew of antibiotics because I will be more susceptible to getting illnesses; I have to get a brain scan before I get the dreaded spinal tap to see if the cancer is in my spine (if it is, they throw some chemo at it). 

If I get home Saturday, I have to go back a day or two afterwards to get more lab work. If I am getting dehydrated,  I can ask for IV hydration at one of these twice weekly visits. 

Prognosis with R-EPOCH: 85% of her patients are still alive 4 years later. 

Who knows, maybe I will feel well taken care of while in hospital. I still wish so much that friends could visit me!

Other difficult news: I will have to check in with Dr. Ujjani every 3 months after these 5 treatments are over. As long as there is a pandemic, she advises that I not take any long flights since my immunity will be lowered. Will I ever make it to Ireland?


https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27183909/

No comments:

Post a Comment