Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Interrupted sleep and ketchup

My first night in the hospital was okay. I am not really feeling any pain except a light abdominal pain (I gave it a 2 out of 10); the CT scan of my brain was painless. The sticking into my port was painless. 

What I find difficult is being attached by the port and the oxygen through the nasal cannula all night. It makes going to use the bathroom, a mere 10 feet away, such a production! 

I do plan on going for a walk around the hallways. I will be zooming down the aisles! I got zoomed in a wheelchair by a nice young man to the CT scan room where the tech and I talked about the hassle of nose and septum rings. I was glad I no longer had to take mine out like in 2013.

The food from their cafeteria has been mediocre, as feared. I got a Caesar salad yesterday while waiting (arrived 2:00, not admitted until 5:30) for the one available room on a different floor to be cleaned. The croutons were a spongy soggy mess. Last night a few minutes before they closed I ordered a fail proof butternut squash soup that had no flavor. I couldn't eat it and the nurse made me a PB&J sandwich.  Yummy.  Today for breakfast everything was lukewarm; the eggs were OK and so was the turkey sausage patty but how do you mess up home fries? Accompanied by ketchup packets, so optional, but what about Tabasco? Yuck, like childhood meals when I smothered all eggs of any kind with ketchup or I would get sick. That is the only example of me being a fussy eater that I can remember. I don't count not being able to eat tongue.

Managing to sleep was difficult but I probably slept about 7 hours. The RN came in at midnight and at 4:00 to take vitals. So annoying!

For all you McCall Smith readers out there, his new book in the 44 Scotland Street (Bertie) series, A Promise of Ankles, is keeping me amused so far. What a great title. It must be about Angus' dog Cyril, a dog with a gold tooth, and his mysterious urge to nip Matthew's ankles. Angus has trained Cyril to lift his leg at the mere mention of the Turner Prize, an annual prize given to a British visual artist. Angus feels rejected by the Turner Prize judges, obviously. That is an interesting Wikipedia article on the Turner Prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment