Thursday, May 6, 2021

Food service problems

 I went for a walk down the hall yesterday but, unfortunately, I went outside of the oncology unit and got shooed away. I sort of knew that I couldn't go off this section but I just couldn't accept it and I wanted to see more art on the walls.  They have great art here.

 Unfortunately, because we started so late on Tuesday night at 10:00 p.m. I have to be here till Sunday so this is only day 3 out of 6 days. My hope is that I can go home early Sunday.

 I am so sick of the bad food here. Yesterday I ordered a half of a tunafish salad sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. When I got it I was pleased to see the correct toppings and good wheat bread but when I took a bite I knew it had very little tunafish. In fact, it had none! So I had to call down to order tunafish.
  The only thing that seems really safe to order is that Nancy's brand of peach kefir. Today for breakfast I ordered Cheerios. They can't scew that up, can they? (Well, they gave me whole milk as requested and also 2% which I didn't request. When I asked her to take it back she said she would have to throw it away.).
Last night in desperation I joined DoorDash so I could order pupusas and fried plantains from a local pupuseria. The nutritionist said I couldn't eat the curtido but it really isn't coleslaw with mayonnaise as she must have thought.

 Unfortunately,  I ordered more than I could eat which is not saying very much so I had to beg the nurse to break the rules and put the leftovers in her staff refrigerator. As you might guess the rule is that no food from a patient's room can be allowed anywhere else except garbage. That makes me feel good...no way an environmentalist can also be a patient. They don’t even recycle cans and bottles! I will bring mine home. 

 I think for at least the time of the chemo I will not be able to eat raw foods like mayonnaise that comes from outside of the store such as a restaurant or a home. I wonder if the rules are similar these pandemic days as for pregnant women?

No comments:

Post a Comment