Saturday, June 5, 2021

Crisis

 I had a bit of a crisis and am staying at Barbara's in Seward Park for a few days. 

She is taking great care of me.

I went to the Clinic for an appointment with the nutritionist and they sent me to get an IV infusion because my blood pressure was dangerously low.  I felt better after that.

I brought my cane and then asked for a wheelchair.  Leslie, the PA for Urgent care, told me the scary truth: that I had to gain about 12 lbs in the next two weeks or go into a nursing home or the hospital. I can't keep losing weight and expect to fight the chemo treatment. 

So Barbara and Julie are setting up Caring Bridge for more care. It's so hard to ask for help but now I have to; I am neutropenic* and more vulnerable. 


Neutropenia (noo-troh-PEE-nee-uh) refers to lower-than-normal levels of neutrophils in your blood. A neutrophil is a type of white blood cell that your bone marrow primarily makes. White blood cells in general, and neutrophils in particular, fight infections in your body. Neutrophils destroy germs that cause infections, like viruses and bacteria.

1 comment:

  1. Twelve pounds! That sounds sooo hard to do. Oh my goodness. I've just joined your Caring Bridge site and will sign up to help.

    ReplyDelete