Monday, April 12, 2021

First chemo, at long last

Today was finally my first treatment. It was a LONG day: we got there at 7 am and left at 5:00.  The Rituxan infusion was going well for the first 3 or 4 intervals but the next one brought nausea, feeling flushed, stomach aches. So they stopped for a half hour and I got morphine eventually (delayed by pharmacy?) and we went forward and everything else was better.

Julie helped me a lot! It was so great to have her there. Subsequent treatments should be easier or at least shorter. 

Now I have a bandage (and big bruises) where the PICC line went in. Getting it taken out was a breeze. Five nurses crowded in to watch, with my permission. I chose not to watch.

I like that they have a "Nourishment Center" and I can request tea, yogurt (FAGE brand), great cottage cheese, etc. I managed to eat some yogurt, a small container of cottage cheese, and Mango Ginger tea (Tazo brand).

Now I have a plastic thing stuck on my abdomen. It's about the size of a small container of dental floss. In 27 hours it beeps and then injects you with the medicine. It is called an on-body injector and delivers Neulasta which is a:

Bone marrow stimulant
It can help the body make white blood cells after receiving cancer medications.



I got home and felt good for about 20 minutes. Then I had a very painful and difficult bout of constipation. Time to take more Miralax! 

I will manage to take a shower tomorrow, I hope!  I am way overdue! 
Oh, and my new haircut, preparing for losing it all.


Is it butch or Annie Lennox 80's?



Rey is one of  my  nurses for my first treatment

Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun is my companion, along with Julie taking the photo--maskless!




No comments:

Post a Comment