Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Echo

 Today I went 4 hours without Oxycodone and drove myself to U-WA South Lake Union F Building. Seattle Cancer Care Alliance has a suite of rooms in the Diabetes Clinic. It was all new to me though they have been in that area, called the Mercer Mess, for 4 years.

I had a great tech (a woman, which I had meant to ask for and then forgot and had to reject the male tech--if that is indeed what they are called). She was easy to talk to and accommodating but it was still uncomfortable. Not as painful as a mammogram or, god forbid, a bone marrow biopsy, but no fun either.

The oncologist will get the results tomorrow and they will be able to determine if my heart can withstand one of those chemicals in the R-CHOP.

Tomorrow I have to get the PICC line because of my inadequate veins which sounds like no fun either.

 And Friday I have my first treatment! In the morning I will talk to a nutritionist, a nurse for a chemo "teach-in" and a pharmacist and then the treatment in the afternoon. Then they will take out the PICC line and then I have to get another Covid19 test (having the vaccine doesn't seem to care) and THEN I get the port (I prefer Madeira but I am not picky) which I avoided in 2013 but it seems chemo requires stronger veins than my difficult ones.

Results of echocardiogram: I have a strong heart! That's a very unscientific way of saying the results showed nothing wrong and we can go ahead with the chemo that is hard on the heart. 

I don't understand what it means but my ejection fraction is 74%.  I am unreasonably proud of this result. The pharmacist said that is the highest she has seen (and that's good). She probably tells everyone that. 😉

The calculated ejection fraction, as determined
by the biplane method of disks, is 74%.

Ejection fraction (EF) is a measurement, expressed as a percentage, of how much blood the left ventricle pumps out with each contraction. An ejection fraction of 60 percent means that 60 percent of the total amount of blood in the left ventricle is pushed out with each heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment