Friday, March 26, 2021

A medical procedure & history lesson

Okay, I got the biopsy and now there is more waiting in the near future. It might take 3-5 days (for what? For the pathologist to decide what the mass is? For the oncologist to get the results?).

It was a long day but everyone was really nice and helpful. I had a disturbing experience with a medical assistant. I asked where she was from and when she said Tigray. After she saw my blank face (except for the mask hiding it), she launched into a recounting of the horrors of the Tigray war with Ethiopia and the degradations and violence against the Tigray people where all her family still lives. I felt bad for her but I also didn't feel it was appropriate; I was a captive audience and the material especially details of rapes was really not what I needed to hear to prepare for the procedure. She mentioned the word "genocide" a few times.



So I did complain about her to her supervisor. I felt like a "tattletale" and resented being put in that position. The nurse manager was very surprised but very kind and receptive. I hope she handles her talk with the medical assistant well. 

The Fentanyl and Versed sedation was nice! I had very little pain--or not that I remember! I was brought up to nursing to be monitored for four hours and had another delightful nurse. But after eating some cheese and crackers (maybe too quickly) I felt nauseated and they talked about how I might need a prescription for an anti-nausea drug. It passed and I feel fine. I am just exhausted from a long day in the hospital (8 am to 3:30 pm) and an almost sleepless night (I slept under 2 hours).


2 comments:

  1. Glad that part is over. I hope for encouraging results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jackie. I saw a new message on MyChart today and thought for a few minutes it was the test results! Of course it was just a summary of the biopsy procedure and how it went. I wish the radiologist had included my jokes but he didn't.

    ReplyDelete