Friday, June 7, 2013

Life causes side effects

Looks like I had all of the typical side effects except for the headache. They told me that the side effects are expected to diminish as you continue the treatment. Is that like when I got my legs waxed in South America and they said it would hurt less the next time (and it didn't)? But next time they will be giving me Vitamin C intravenously (takes an hour) and will that hurt or cause side effects? And the Benadryl (a whopping 25 mg, equivalent to taking 25 pills-note: we got this wrong. It was just the same as taking a normal dose but because it goes in the veins, it effects you more than being mixed with gastric juices) caused arm pain and a feeling of drunkenness (admittedly, not unpleasant). Does anything NOT cause side effects?

Rituxan IV Side Effects
Headache, fever, chills, nausea, heartburn, flushing, weakness, or dizziness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

5 comments:

  1. Carla,

    I believe they gave you 25 ml = 25 gm of Benadryl. Each tablet is 25 mg. So you got 100 tablets intravenously.

    We should ask the nurse if this is accurate.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I should have done a quick search on that before I posted! I see that 25 mg is the normal dose: As an antihistamine, recommended doses for adults is 25-50 mg diphenhydramine every 6-8 hours, not to exceed 50-100 mg every 4-6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend who got Benadryl before Rituxan was given only two capsules and not intravenously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I've been trying to comment but it didn't take. Let's see if it works this time. Just wanted to say hello and let you know I've been holding you in my mind and heart this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fourth attempt to post a comment...
    just trying to let you know I have been holding you in my thoughts and heart this past week.
    Hope you are doing OK.
    love
    ellen/miriam

    ReplyDelete