Friday, March 29, 2013

Mystery of my past health


I got a very interesting copy of 2003 test results which had the lymphoma word in it. I remember the awful cramps I used to get fairly regularly in the middle of the night that lasted for an hour. I have no idea if it was related or what happened to them. There are so many mysteries. This is what I wrote in my end of the year summary:


·       I had 3 ultrasounds and 3 CT scans (one during a visit to the Harborview Hospital ER after a night of severe abdominal pains, probably caused by a kidney stone) for “enlarged abdominal lymph nodes”. Verdict: I don’t have lymphoma. So what is causing the enlarged nodes? Nobody knows yet.

So did the doctors just give up on finding out or did they feel they had done their job by eliminating lymphoma...and then were they wrong? Will I ever know? I want my oncologist (still feels strange to say "my") to hazard a guess. But if it had been lymphoma would that mean I've had it for at least 10 years and it truly is "indolent" which is what we already know about it.

2 comments:

  1. Carla, thank you for creating this - I'm glad to be able to read about what's going on with the diagnosis/treatment process - and your thoughts and feelings. It's a complementary take on what we talk about in person.

    How eerie to look back ten years and see that foreshadowing in your medical record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating to remember some of what happened ten years ago but not to remember the resolution. Who dropped the ball?

    ReplyDelete