Tuesday, April 30, 2013

PET scan

A positron emission tomography (PET) scan is an imaging test that uses a radioactive substance called a tracer to look for disease in the body. A PET scan shows how organs and tissues are working. This is different than magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT), which show the structure of and blood flow to and from organ. 

The dental school visit in the morning was definitely worse than the PET scan in the afternoon! I hate that dental dam and then they couldn't even finish the filling!

I was worried about lying there for an hour so I took the Valium ahead of time but it really wasn't a problem. I didn't sleep well the night before so I just fell asleep, at least for the hour that you are in a recliner in a darkened room while the sugar water is drawn to tumors. (A good argument for not eating sugar: don't feed any cancer that might be growing, however slowly) Being in the machine with my arms over my head was not great so I kept my eyes closed. They said each section took 3 minutes so that was only 24 minutes. For the 7 foot man it took a lot longer!

So until I learn the results in a couple of days, I'm trying not to worry. I am feeling good, the sun is out, whatever will be, will be (I love that song, Que Sera, Sera)!

No comments:

Post a Comment